USA: Happy July 4, as we celebrate the Independence Day of our Nation. The celebration of our freedom takes many different forms. I like to think of life as a musical with great food. Will share some of the ways we celebrate our Independence, and some of the Food and Music that create that combination for me that says “Happy USA 4th of July”.
The typical celebration for the USA 4th of July, also known as Independence Day, involves various festivities and traditions. Independence Day is also a time for reflection on the values of freedom and independence. Many people take a moment to remember and honor the sacrifices made by the founding fathers and those who have served in the military to protect the nation’s freedom.
Best example of July 4 fashion, comes from my friend Dale Kelch.
Some areas with historical significance to the American Revolution may organize reenactments or demonstrations, showcasing the events that led to the country’s independence.
The American flag is prominently displayed during 4th of July celebration. People decorate themselves, their homes, buildings, and public spaces with flags, buntings, and patriotic colors of Crimson Red, White and Royal Blue. It is common for families and friends to gather for outdoor barbecues, picnics, and cookouts. Grilling burgers, hot dogs, and enjoying other traditional American foods is a popular way to celebrate.
Fireworks displays are a significant part of 4th of July celebrations. Cities and towns across the country organize fireworks shows, often accompanied by music and festivities. Here in Chicago, Illinois, where I call home, Fireworks began sometime around Thursday at night fall, and continue their displays still today.
Many communities hold parades featuring marching bands, floats, and displays of patriotism. These parades often showcase military units, veterans, local organizations, and community members. I have fond memories of the Independence Day Parades in my Hometown Pontiac.
My Father was in Municipal Band, and marched in the parades around Livingston County, Streator and Pontiac. Dad later played banjo songs of US Folk Music on a float in the Parades.
Concerts and Music:
Many communities organize outdoor concerts and music performances, featuring patriotic songs and live bands. These events create a festive atmosphere and bring people together to enjoy music and entertainment.
Growing up as we did, Music in the summertime was the ending of the day under the stars, Dad play our requests on Guitar as we sang under the stars. I am glad to share his love of music with the community in the parades he marched in or floats he rode on.
Here are some of my favorite song’s of the USA
- American and the Power of Song: Pete Seeger by PBS American Masters
- This Land Is Your Land: Woody Gutherie
- Amazing Grace: Odetta
- America: Simon and Garfunkel
- Star Spangled Banner: Epic performance by Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock
- America the Beautiful: Ray Charles
- The Night they Drove old Dixie down: Joan Baez
- Born In the USA: Bruce Springsteen. Remembering our Veterans to whom we owe our freedom.
- Ragged Old Flag: Johnny Cash
- We Shall Overcome: Pete Seeger
- USA National Anthem: Iconic performance by Whitney Houston
- Teach Your Children: Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
- Forty- Hour Week for a Living: Alabama
- My Little Town: Simon and Garfunkel
- Tiny Boxes: Pete Seeger
- Pink Houses: John Cougar Mellencamp
- In America: Charlie Daniels Band, Post 9/11 performance
- God Bless the USA: Lou Greenwood
- Times, They are a Changing: Bob Dylan
- My Country Tis of Thee
Delicious Food and Treats to Eat
Here are some recipe collections from across the USA. Some of my favorite Soul Foods. Mom made this really cool red white and blue “poke cake”. My Aunt Juanita made a fabulous Angel Food Cake that was beautiful and elegant for any event. Today I opt for a Sugar Free version.
Whereever you are living or visiting if in America this week, enjoy the celebrations!!