Knowledge Centered Support (KCS) is so hot now because people are now working more mobile in a post COVID arena and KCS has been found to be a significant enabler for Business Post COVID, in some cases just in time Knowledge Availability has reduced training costs by 15% while increasing call deflection and Customer Experience through available Self Help to get end users going more quickly. KCS began as a service delivery method focusing on knowledge as a key asset for Customer Engagement, productivity and success.. On 1992 by the Consortium for Service Innovation, a non-profit alliance of service organizations began development expansion to produce a methodology and integrate the use of a knowledge base into the workflow.
KNOWLEDGE fuels decision, information, and how to disrupt and innovate. How am I going to do this? KCS provides a roadmap.
Story and Work Breakdown bullets:
As an Author I want to ….. turn on ServiceNow PreDefined Knowledge Article Templates ….. so that I can give a consistent look and feel to ServiceNow Knowledge Articles.
- Activate the Knowledge Management Set Up Guide for Admins
- Work with content managers to establish roles based access controls and workflow for content creation, review, publication, update and retirement
- Configure Knowledge Management
- Define the Article Workflow
- Establish the Knowledge Categories that will be used by the Knowledge Database
- Create an article template and use it to create a knowledge article (servicenow.com)
- Set up the Templates and How to Enforce a Knowledge Article Template.
- Create a communication that users can start creating and searching articles in the knowledge base with a reference to the User Guide
Knowledge Management Objective:
Get the right information to the right person at the right time.
The Basic concepts of Knowledge Management requires a recognition that Knowledge is constantly in a cycle of change, where content needs to be created or modified, approved and monitored. When appropriate the content will require retirement.
Best Practices for Effective Knowledge Management
- Different than a “process document” in it’s abbreviated style and focus on content instead of brand/titled “documents”
- Knowledge Articles should include small “bites” of information.
- Knowledge Articles should be one page or next. If longer it should use indexing.
- Use Headings to Organize Standard Content for Easy Reading.
- Use Standardized Templates for a common look and feel directly to the content.
ServiceNow offers 4 Template Types in addition to the Standard KB Format
After the Knowledge Base is set up, you can start a campaign. Some do this through Brown Bag Workshops where they introduce the Knowledge Database, How to use it to start creating and searching articles in the knowledge base with a reference to the User Guide.
While people might be quick to use existing knowledge, it can be challenging them to incorporate new articles in. A Knowledge Management Workshop can help teams realize how to create content, and helps them generate a list of articles that they have subject matter expertise in.
Create knowledge articles
Users with the required permissions can begin to search and create articles for the knowledgebase. It is a good idea before creating an article to do a search to see if there is duplicate or similar knowledge. From the Knowledge homepage, you can select a knowledge base to search for articles and answers. You can view only the knowledge bases to which you have access.
- The best ways to create articles are from the Self-Service application menu or
- Knowledge articles can be created from incidents and problems or
- While it is possible to bring in articles by importing Word documents, we recommend the Self-Service application menu or Articles created from Incidents or Problems, to apply a consistent look and feel.