WHAT IS A ROADMAP
A roadmap is a guiding statement of where the program or product needs to remain agile, and maintain alignment with changing market needs and longer term business objectives.
A good Roadmap offers:
- Delivery Strategy
- Confidence/Challenge Measures
- Date of Last Review and Update
WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF PRODUCING AND REVIEWING A ROADMAP?
Driving organizational change is key to ensuring teams have a shared vision on the key elements of change and engagement needed to efficiently scale the business, provide customer value and recognize business growth.
While traditional roadmaps produced a 5 year plan, this works for process and team capability maturity modeling, however IT Roadmaps are often done in a much shorter – quarterly or half annual format.
This quick video walks you through the strategy for producing a Roadmap, and some of the considerations that help frame up the document. Included in this presentation is a sample real life roadmap for ITSM Process, and how the dependent process project aligned to the ITSM Master, and the business vision. Alignment is the biggest challenges for roadmap, the larger view, and the steps are reviewed to validate the requirements and what success looks like.
HOW DO YOU EVOLVE A ROADMAP?
- Planning and Discovery •Stakeholder Analysis •Business Analysis Planning/Performance Mgt •Requirements Management Plan •BA Canvas •
- Requirements Workshop and Elicitation •Elicitation and Kick off preparation •Workshop and Elicitation Facilitation •Summarization, Findings Verification •
- Analyze and Synthesize Requirements •Requirements Prioritization and Organization •Requirements Best Practices Specification/Modeling •Define Assumptions & Constraints •Verify and validate requirements •Produce Roadmap •
- Manage and Communicate requirements •Scope Managements •Requirements Traceability •RIDAC and Backlog •Requirements Package Preparation •Change Plan Requirements •Change Communications •
- Assess and Validate the Solution •Proposed Solution Assessment •Requirements Allocation •Organizational Readiness Assessment •Solution Validation •Lessons learned
SOAPBOX framework provides a walk through guidance of essential concepts, questions and tasks to consider for an executive level product roadmap presentation. This framework helps prepare the presentation in digestible bites your stakeholders can relate to, and providing meaningful input and confirmation to move the project forward.
- 8 Steps to being an effective Business Analyst
- CAP Change Acceleration Process
- Commitment and Best Practices Networking Groups
- Rummler Brache Process Improvement Methodology
Rummler Brache, Change Acceleration Process and Lean Sigma methodologies can also help to drive the definition, measurement and tracking of critical success metrics.
READ MORE ABOUT IT:
Implementing Service and Support Management Processes is a comprehensive Practical Guide published by HDI, co-authored by IT’s leading Subject Matter Experts, I was proud to be part of this incredible content review team.
Here are other books on this topic:
Association of Artificial Intelligence (AI) |BPM Institute | Cyber Fraud Prevention | Education & Study Abroad| Covid 19 Global Employment Taskforce | Executive Womens Network | HDI: Modernizing Service Management | itSMFSFBay | Knowledge Centered Services | Project Management Institute |